- Useful Links
- Community Services
- Housing Assistance and Info
Housing Assistance & Info
The City of Temple Terrace does not provide housing-related services directly. Below are some relevant resources and programs for those seeking housing assistance and other related needs.
Housing Programs & Resources
- Tampa Housing Authority: Provides information and applications for Section 8, public housing, subsidized apartments and resources for housing search. Please visit Welcome to the Tampa Housing Authority (thafl.com).
- Housing Finance Authority of Hillsborough County: The Home Sweet Home Hillsborough Program offers a 30 Year Deferred, 0.00% second mortgage, up to $25,000 to be used for down payments and closing costs. For more information about the program please visit Hillsborough County (myfirstfloridahome.com).
- Owner Occupied Housing Rehabilitation Program: Provides assistance with home repairs for eligible Hillsborough County low and moderate-income homeowners to allow families to continue living safely in their own homes. This program is provided through different agencies depending on need. To obtain more information on the agencies and their programs, visit Hillsborough County - Get Financial Assistance with Home Repairs.
- Florida Housing Search: To search for available rentals in Hillsborough County, search here: floridahousingsearch.org | Rental Housing Search: Hillsborough, FL (socialserve.com). Always beware of potential scams; even with social distancing, NEVER wire or send money using an app. Do NOT call spelled-out phone numbers ("seven-oh-four," etc.). Only pay after you have met the landlord and verified they have a right to rent the unit! For more tips on how to detect housing scams, please visit FloridaHousingSearch.org (socialserve.com).
- Catholic Charities: Catholic Charities Family Housing provides quality, income-based affordable housing for individuals, single parents, and families. For a list of properties, please visit Affordable Housing | Providing help. Creating hope.
Homeless Assistance Programs
Assistance for homeless or those at-risk of becoming homeless is provided through a number of agencies. A few resources are listed below:
- Hillsborough County Homeless Services Department: Provides resources to individuals and families experiencing homelessness leading them to self-sufficiency. Please call 813.274.6834 for more information.
- Metropolitan Ministries Provides many services such as emergency shelter, case management, food assistance, financial assistance and mobile outreach services. Contact Metropolitan Ministries at 813.209.1000 for more information or apply for assistance at https://www.metromin.org/get-help/.
- The Salvation Army: Provides Emergency Financial Services, Emergency Shelter and The Recuperative Care Program provides short- term shelter and case management to homeless people who are recovering from an acute illness or injury, whose conditions would be exacerbated by living on the street. For more information on how to qualify to receive shelter and other programs and services, contact Tampa, 813.549.0641 or S. Hillsborough, 813.450.1110.
- Agency for Community Treatment Services (ACTS): Provides emergency and bridge housing focused on homeless persons with mental health, substance abuse, or co-occurring disorders. Housing is provided in both limited mental health assisted living facility and community-based apartments. Contact ACTS at 813.246.4899 or at https://www.actsfl.org/housing.html for more information.
- Mary and Martha House: Services are designed for women and children who are temporarily homeless due to a crisis situation such as domestic violence, eviction, sudden reduction in income, or job loss. Mary and Martha House has 3 shelters that are designed to be as much like home as possible, with each family having their own space, as well as safe havens for victims to escape abuse and begin recovery. An intake form can be completed here Intake Form - Mary and Martha House.
- Dawning Family Services: Dawning Family Services provides low-barrier, emergency bridge housing for families with at least one minor child and women who are currently pregnant. For emergency shelter inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the best contact information, name and date of birth of all household members in your family, a brief description of where you are currently staying, and a photo ID.
- Tampa Hillsborough Homeless Initiative (THHI): Collaborates with agencies in order to develop and provide innovative solutions to make homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring in Hillsborough County. A list of a wide variety of resources, including shelter, can be found on their website here: Home (myresourcedirectory.com).
Social Service Needs
- Hillsborough County Social Services: Provides assistance with services such as emergency rental assistance, financial services, veterans, senior services, special needs, education, homeless prevention, transportation, job search and more. Hillsborough County residents can seek help with social needs at the County's five Neighborhood Service Centers. To contact any of these locations please call 813.272.5220. The closest service center to Temple Terrace is the Lee Davis Community Resource Center is located at 3402 N. 22nd St. Tampa, FL 33605.
- Crisis Center of Tampa Bay: Intervention Specialists provide immediate and confidential short-term crisis intervention, and information & referral to over 3,000 human services available in Hillsborough County, including resources for: basic needs for food, rent, clothing, shelter and utilities, relationship counseling, senior services, health and substance abuse issues, depression and suicide, teenage issues, parenting help, disaster assistance, legal affairs, and financial support. Can be reached by phone by dialing 211 or online at www.211atyourfingertips.org.
The Fair Housing Act prohibits certain types of discrimination in selling, renting or financing a home. Residents who believe they have been discriminated against based up their race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression, can file a discrimination or Fair Housing complaint with the Equal Opportunity Administrator's Office (EOA). When you file a complaint, the Equal Opportunity Administrator (EOA) office will investigate. If they find you were discriminated against, they will issue a cease and desist order. The EOA can be reached at 813.272.6554.
- Complaints can be filed online at Equal Opportunity Intake Questionnaire or the form can be downloaded here: Hillsborough County’s Equal Opportunity Administrator’s Office and sent via mail to:
Hillsborough County Equal Opportunity Administrator Office
700 E. Twiggs Street, Suite 830 Tampa, FL 33602
- Complaints can also be filed with Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Information about how to file a complaint with HUD can be found here File a Complaint – Main Page | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
For information about Fair Housing Awareness, go to:
Hillsborough County - Fair Housing Awareness .